Saturday, April 30, 2005

Tribeca Film Fest 2005 - Day 8

Here's what I saw today (Friday 4/29):

So, The Tulse Luper Suitcases Part 3 was quite interesting. Some parts of it were a little less engaging, but it also tied together elements from the other two parts. I forgot to mention these important aspects of Luper's character - he's a listmaker, a collector, and a "professional prisoner." The listmaking/collecting thing leads to the observation that the categories we use to classify the world affect the way we interact with it. Very cerebral, but I like it.

Next up was a documentary called Excavating Taylor Mead, a totally fascinating New York character. I don't know how to describe him, except that he was one of the earliest indi superstars (even before he fell in with the Andy Warhol crowd). He just has something about him. He showed up at the screening, and he's still a complete ham. One of my favorite quotes from him in the movie: "I depend on the kindness of bartenders." And in the Q&A, a woman asked him, "How did you come to be on a mountain with an arab?" (who subsequently stabbed him) and he answered, "Well, I'm in love with guys in tight pants."

Lastly I saw Reeker a second time. The movie was just as scary the second time. And just as funny. This time I knew when hide my eyes, or look away, so I checked out the audience when I didn't want to see what was on the screen. This was an 11pm screening, so the crowd was more in the right mindset - lot's of laughing and jumping. Also, because I knew what was going on, I was able to pay attention to some things that I didn't notice before. Of course, I can't say what any of them were, because that would ruin the surprise.

No comments: