Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Tribeca Film Fest 2005 - Day 6

The first thing I saw today was Peter Greenaway's The Tulse Luper Suitcases Part 1. I was a little nervous about it because a woman I know who saw it last night said that she couldn't sit still for it. Plus it's the first part of a trilogy, which seems potentially self-indulgent. Well, I forgot that one of the things I love about Peter Greenaway's films is, in fact, his particular style of self-indulgence! I missed the very beginning, so I don't know the whole deal. I mean, I have no idea how much this story is based on factual events. But, it's definitely a surreal way of telling a story. Scenes of multiple people auditioning for the same part, alternate takes, numbers, drawings, diagrams, etc. all intermingling in a sort of audio-visual collage. You can't hope to watch a Greenaway movie and take it all in, you just have to submit your senses to it and absorb what you can. This guy is not for everyone, to be sure, but I'm happy to say that I loved it and I'm really looking forward to parts 2 and 3.

After that I saw a pair of movies that I really wasn't able to pay attention to, so I don't feel qualified to say much about them.

No comments: